Claims for the benefits of performing the Rites have proliferated over the web, becoming increasingly exaggerated to a point where they have been made to sound like a 'miracle cure' – an ancient, secret snake oil medicine!
People are led to believe that the Rites will completely halt their aging, help them lose enormous amounts of weight; fix their cancer, heart disease, fibroid cysts, and numerous other serious health conditions. As a result their expectations are set incredibly high before they even begin to practice. Anything short of a miracle therefore could be seen as rather ‘ho hum!’
This article is an attempt to add a voice of reason - so that people can have realistic expectations, of what they might achieve from performing this ancient rejuvenation method.
The monks who developed the Rites did not describe specific benefits. They stated that the specific purpose of the Rites is to regain health, youth and vitality:
..."The body has seven centres, which, in English, could be called Vortexes. These are kind of magnetic centres. They revolve at great speed in the healthy body, but when slowed down – well that is just another name for old age, ill health and senility. The quickest way to regain health, youth, and vitality is to start these magnetic centres spinning again. There are but five practices that will do this. Any one of them will be helpful, but all five are required to get glowing results. These five exercises are really not exercises at all, in the physical culture sense. The Lamas think of them as ‘Rites’ and so instead of calling them exercises or practices, we too, shall call them ‘Rites."...
You can download the original 1939 book “The Eye of Revelation” containing the story of the discovery of the monks for free (by clicking here)
The most exaggerated claims on the internet come from marketers selling the same e-Book mentioned above, for $19.95 up to $35! Here are a few of them:
- You can remove your wrinkles; a secret cosmetic surgeons don't want you to learn. I wish!
- Completely restores your natural hair color. In all the many thousands of people I have taught only ONE said he 'thought' his sideburns were going darker. I have since heard others mention some ‘darkening’ of their hair, but no-one has described a complete transformation.
- Guaranteed - you will look a shocking 30 years younger! Will turn you back to being 25 years old all over again! Imagine getting back the face, hair, strength and vitality you had at 25 years old! If this was true, it would be on the main news! The extra life-energy (Qi, prana) flowing through your body from doing the Rites definitely gives you a healthier and more vital look - but NO way does this or anything else (yet) help us return to a previous age .
- Will correct your eyesight. No-one has flung off their glasses saying, "I can see, I can see!" There is a slight difference in your vision immediately after you have done the Rites, with a mild improvement overall. They certainly do not 'fix' eyesight problems.
- Virtually anyone can perform them at any age, right up to 100 years old or more! The person who wrote this comment is a copywriter, NOT a teacher of the Rites! I advise you to read my article Are The Five Tibetan Rites For You - A Teachers Perspective" - as some people definitely need a few modifications to the original. Others are best suited to our T5T® step-by-step method which builds core strength to protect the lower back and neck.
- Your energy levels become turbo-charged! There is no doubt that this is one of the principal benefits of the Rites. However most people will read this and think they can go out and immediately run a marathon. Not everyone gets the super-charged variety. Most people get an obvious endurance type of energy as opposed to the six cups of coffee effect inferred by the use of the word turbo-charged! Unlike caffeine energy, the energy derived from the Rites is enduring (unless you stop doing them).
- Martin Sheen the actor and John Gray from Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus credit the Rites for their youthful looks. Incorrect. The quotes attributed to both of them on the ‘Ancient Secret of the Fountain of Youth’ book sleeves, mention nothing about them "personally looking younger" because of the Rites. Incidentally, John Gray kindly reviewed my book prior to publication and provided a Testimonial. In viewing the step-by-step build up process of my T5T® method of learning the Rites, he told me that he too had found it necessary to modify the Rites to make them safer and easier for people to perform.
- Every copy of the book was lost, until one was found recently. Completely untrue. The original book has been in publication since 1939. Jerry Watt an antiquarian book seller owns a original copy of the 1939 by Peter Kelder and the 1946 version (and you can buy a CD with his actual scans of the original books). In the 1980's other publishers renamed the book of which they claim millions of copies have been sold. However you can download this for free here. It's a great story by the way and well worth reading.
Belief & The Expectation Effect (Placebo Effect)
Having said it is important to have realistic expectations, the power of belief (or faith) is still a vital force.
Colonel Bradford himself says that the monks told him that you need to invest a strong amount of faith and belief in the Rites to maximize their benefit. If you think old, you become old. He suggests people stride instead of hobble for example.
Most people are familiar with the medical use of placebos. A common practice is to give a patient an inert sugar pill; telling him/her that this will improve their condition. They are not told that the pill is a placebo. The patient’s belief does indeed have a therapeutic effect improving the condition it was intended for.
…”The expectancy effect can be enhanced through factors such as the enthusiasm of the doctor, differences in size and color of placebo pills, or the use of other inventions such as injections. In one study, the response to a placebo increased from 44% to 62% when the doctor gave them with "warmth, attention, and confidence. Expectancy effects have been found to occur with a range of substances. Those who think a treatment will work display a stronger placebo effect than those who do not, as evidenced by a study of acupuncture.
Because the placebo effect is based upon expectations and conditioning, the effect disappears if the patient is told that their expectations are unrealistic, or that the placebo intervention is ineffective. A conditioned pain reduction can be totally removed when its existence is explained. It has also been reported of subjects given placebos in a trial of anti-depressants, that “Once the trial was over and the patients who had been given placebos were told as much, they quickly deteriorated.”……
However only around 30% of the population seems to be susceptible to placebo effects which do eventually wear off, making it impractical for long term or chronic conditions.
I have heard of many people who so totally ‘believed’ in the positive thinking philosophy ("Ask, believe & receive") espoused by the film/book “The Secret” – that they ran up significant debt on their credit cards or made poor financial or relationship decisions with disastrous consequences. Several teachers from the movie have stated that there was a lot of material they wanted included, that remained on the cutting room floor. Dr John Demartini for example says that The Law of Attraction is only one of the laws of the universe and all need to be considered. A one-sided viewpoint in a world where duality clearly exists creates imbalances. For example the familiar saying; "Whenever a door shuts - another opens" works equally in the opposite direction. “Whenever a door opens, another closes” for example.
So, What Are The Real Benefits?
This list of benefits is gathered from the direct teaching experience of me and my instructors - in teaching the many thousands of students who attended our workshops, received private tuition, or learned through our books, DVD’s etc. We compiled this information from our workshop/private tuition feedback forms, correspondence, discussions, testimonials and completed questionnaires:
- A significant increase in energy - more the endurance type of energy as opposed to the revved up caffeine type of energy. You feel like you can keep going and going.
- Feel calmer and less stressed - your buttons simply don't get pushed as easily anymore.
- Develop significant mental clarity with a razor sharp focus.
- Feel stronger, more flexible and less stiff
- Enjoy seeing muscles appear on your arms, stomachs, hips, legs and backs. Good for toning flabby arms and tightening the abdomen
- Sleep better. Some people have more vivid dreams
- Overall improvement in your health, don't seem to catch colds etc as often
- Helps with depression and anxiety - lifts mood and improves well-being
- More centered and at peace
- Improved self discipline and sense of purpose
- Feel younger and more powerful
- Improved breathing - deeper, slower & more conscious
- Increased levels of Qi (chi, ki, prana, life-energy)
- Better posture
- Develops good core strength, which provides a strong foundation for any other form of exercise or modern living
- Some people lose weight, most find it easier to control weight and desire healthier foods
- Improved digestion and elimination
- Helps with the transition and symptoms of menopause
- Helps with the symptoms of menstruation
- Improved libido
There are many individual cases of people receiving improvement to their health conditions. This does not indicate that everyone who has this condition will experience the same benefit. It also does not allow for the influence of other factors that may also have contributed to the improvement in their condition. Please see the Testimonials on my that detail these personal experiences (full name's given).
I hope this information has helped you.
To Download "The Eye of Revelation" Free - Click Here
To Learn T5T - and get your chakras spinning more rapidly - Click Here
If you wish to publish this article on your website you may do so, provided that you assign copyright to the author exactly as written below: A pdf is available on request.
Copyright (c) 2005 Carolinda Witt - author T5T - The Five Tibetan Exercise Rites (Penguin/Lantern 2005) and The 10-Minute Rejuvenation Plan (Random House/Three Rivers Press 2007)